Veteran alumnus to sign copies of his book Phantom in the Sky at UTA Bookstore event

Terry Thorsen, UTA alumnus and author.

On Thursday, the UTA Bookstore will host Terry Thorsen, UTA alumnus and author, for a book signing event.

Cindy Medlen, UTA Bookstore general merchandise manager, said the event will be held from 1 to 4 p.m.

Thorsen will be signing copies of his book Phantom in the Sky, which was released in March 2019. The book details his experience as a radar intercept officer in the Marines, he said.

Radar intercept officers sat in the back seat of combat jets and helped the pilot with maintaining proper altitudes, airspeed, communication and navigation, Thorsen said. They also kept a lookout for enemy aircrafts or friendlies that were too close.

“The Radar Intercept Officer played an integral part in enemy aircraft intercept and ordnance delivery,” a section of the book states.

In Thorsen’s case, he was in the back seat of the Phantom Jet and eventually deployed to the Vietnam War.

During his time in Vietnam, Thorsen flew 123 combat missions, earning 10 Air Medals, one Bronze Star Award, two Navy Unit Commendations, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm and the Vietnam Campaign Medal with Device, according to his website.

Although the book has combat stories, he said the book is about overcoming obstacles.

In his book, his wife Audrina Thorsen said Thorsen writes about his airsickness and how he overcame that difficulty to fly in the jet.

“It’s a book about success, overcoming obstacles — which he did,” Audrina Thorsen said. “All the way through, everything was a huge obstacle, and he overcame every one of them.”

@Brian_L8