UTA’s finest glass art was on display and up for sale Saturday at the 17th annual Glass Art Show and Sale in the Studio Arts Center.

Residents from around the Metroplex filled the studio and examined pieces of glass art that ranged from trinkets to Christmas ornaments, plates and vases.

“We wanted to showcase the best of UTA glass work,” said Neal Paustian, adjunct glass art professor. “We chose the best 12 of the 2,200 pieces submitted and we put them up for auction.”

All 12 of the items, including a $2,200 piece made by Jason Christian, a visiting artist from Seattle, were sold at the auction.

Paustian said half of the proceeds from the show will go to the artists while the other half is allocated to the glass art program at UTA.

The Glass Art Show and Sale began in the mid 1990s, but today’s sale marked the first time it was held on a Saturday.

News outlets such as CBS, UTA News and arlingtontx.gov advertised the sale, which also included pieces not up for auction, but available to buy separately.

By around 3:30 p.m., Paustian said about 1,500 pieces had been sold.

“I like glass,” Dallas resident Sharon Steele said. “I’ve always loved glass. It’s so pretty, so unique, so different.”

Steele said she saw the sale on TV this morning and had never heard of a glass art sale at UTA before.

Irving resident Laura Smith also saw coverage of the sale on TV and stopped by to check out the art.

“I thought I’d swing by,” Smith said. “I like art and different art pieces.”

@MattyMatShaw

mathew.shaw@mavs.uta.edu