Over the summer, UTA’s Title IX office merged with the Office of Equal Opportunity Services in an effort to eliminate confusion for students wanting to file a report.

The merger was announced in a MavWire email sent out Aug. 14. Shelby Boseman, UTA attorney and chief legal officer, said in an email that students can now report to the same office.

Michelle Willbanks, Title IX coordinator and EOS director, will direct the newly-merged office.

“By combining the offices, it allows all allegations of unlawful discrimination to be reported to the same office, removes any delays in determining which office should investigate, and ensures complaints will be investigated in a similar manner,” Willbanks said in an email.

The office will investigate Title IX and Title VII claims when they are reported, Willbanks said.

Title IX in the Education Amendments of 1972 states, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin and religion. Title VII also applies to private and public colleges and universities, employment agencies and labor organizations.

Students with a complaint involving violation of any discrimination laws can file a report at the Office of Title IX’s website or they can notify a UTA faculty member, administrator or supervisor.

According to the EOS website, the university will not accept a report of an alleged violation if it’s later than 90 calendar days since the occurrence.

@colby_farr

: