nws.pridemonth

Drag performer Sapphire Davenport opens the 6th Annual Drag Show with a performance in rainbow wings Oct. 12 2018 in the Rosebud Theatre. The event concluded LGBTQA Pride Week at UTA.

October will mark the first year of LGBTQ Pride Month at UTA.

Queering Storytime was the first event of Pride in October. The storytime took place Monday with over 50 people in attendance and evaluated LGBTQ children’s books.

The seventh annual drag show will take place Friday in Rosebud Theatre and will be hosted by Kiana Lee, 2019’s Miss Gay Arlington America.

Jessica Sanchez, Relationship Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention assistant director, said in the past, pride celebration was a week and ended with the annual drag show.

Because October was the month the drag show took place, it only made sense to remarket it for the whole month, Sanchez said.

The celebration of LGBTQ pride is important for embracing and affirming all identities and brings those who identify as sexual minorities events they can relate to, she said.

“I feel like pride is just so much love being shared at once, you know, and just kind of really expanding that term, like, love is love,” Sanchez said.

LGBTQA sex therapist Edward Angelini-Cooke will present for the LGBTQA Program Speaker Series in his talk titled, “Finding Your Inner Unicorn,” on Oct. 15.

Other events expected throughout the month include International Pronouns Day, a Maverick Ally Training and a Pride Picnic at the Central Library mall.

Pride in October is expected to be rounded out at Brazos Park with an LGBTQ Resource Fair on Oct. 30, which will include community agencies and student departments.