Since Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s announcement of an impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump on Sept. 24, reactions from government officials and citizens across the country have ranged from supportive to skeptical to combative.

Royce West, UTA alumnus and state senator, swiftly weighed in on the impeachment inquiry against Trump.

West, a Democrat representing District 23 in Dallas, released a statement the same day saying Trump must be held accountable.

“Today’s announcement has been a long time coming,” West said. “Our country is nearly three years into Trump’s disastrous presidency, and now we finally have a formal impeachment inquiry — this is overdue.”

The impeachment inquiry announcement came after Trump allegedly pressed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate Joe Biden, former vice president and 2020 presidential candidate, as well as his son, Hunter Biden.

“We know the president solicited and welcomed interference in the 2016 election by an American adversary,” West said. “Now, faced with an uphill battle to reelection, he has asked yet another foreign nation to investigate a political opponent out of fear.”

Political science professor Thomas Marshall said he doesn’t expect the inquiry to end in the removal of the president.

“I think this is the midseason Hail Mary pass for Democrats, whose field seems to be kind of floundering and uncertain,” Marshall said. “This would presumably open up a whole number of investigations.”

Spanish junior Austin Byboth said Democrats have been trying to impeach President Trump since he was elected, and he expects to see the impeachment inquiry end up like the Russia investigation.

“It comes from a fear that President Trump could win again in 2020,” Byboth said. “The Democrats didn’t take him seriously enough in 2016, and then he won.”

The inquiry announcement has nonetheless drawn support of Texas Democrats seeking 2020 congressional bids, including West, who is running for the 2020 Democratic nomination to take on Republican John Cornyn for his U.S. Senate seat.

Cornyn, along with the majority of his fellow congressional Texas Republicans, denounced the inquiry.

“The American people have made abundantly clear that this sort of partisan exercise is not what they want,” Cornyn said on the Senate floor the day after the inquiry announcement. “Especially when it comes at the expense of other important work.”

State House Reps. for Arlington, Chris Turner, Matt Krause and Tony Tinderholt; and State Sens. Kelly Hancock and Beverly Powell have not released public statements about the impeachment.

@DavidSilvaetc