UTA Campus Recreation to host intramural sports over the summer

Students from various intramural sand volleyball teams play an impromptu six-on-six pickup game April 14, 2013, at the Maverick Activities Center sand volleyball courts. Sand volleyball is offered for summer intramural sports.

From sand volleyball and indoor soccer to Mortal Kombat and Mario Kart, UTA Campus Recreation will offer a variety of intramural sports for the summer semester.

Sand volleyball registration ends Wednesday with play beginning June 11. Indoor soccer registration ends July 11 with play set to start July 16.

Individual and dual sports will be held throughout the summer as one-day events, including Mortal Kombat and Mario Kart tournaments, as well as days for foosball and spikeball. All registration deadlines are the day before each event takes place.

Mortal Kombat will begin June 11, followed by foosball June 27. Spikeball will take place July 17 before the events are rounded out with Mario Kart July 30.

Sports programs coordinator Matthew Holmquist said the summer semester offers limited sports compared to fall and spring because there are fewer students on campus able to participate.

“Over the summer, things can get slow,” he said. “We want to provide that opportunity for interaction with other students.”

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.