For architecture lecturer Dustin Wheat, interacting with students is his favorite part of his job. He said his students challenge him to try to develop new ways of seeing art and engaging his imagination.

“Each year they seem to get better and better,” Wheat said.

Wheat won Best in Category for professional hand, or hand drawing, in the 39th Annual Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition, which hosted an awards presentation in Dallas in November. Both professional and student architects can submit their pieces for the competition, which is the most senior architectural drawing competitions in the world, according to the official competition website.

UTA students, professors and alumni competed. Along with Wheat, architecture associate professor Steve Quevedo won a Best in Category award, while architecture associate professor J.P. Maruszczak was a finalist in his category for Professional Digital/Mixed drawing. UTA’s School of Architecture has participated and won in previous years at this competition.

Architecture senior Alexei Dukov was a finalist in Best in Category for student digital/mixed drawing, which architecture senior Eduardo Casteneda won.

Dukov was in Quevedo’s conceptual drawing class where he first started working on the piece that he submitted. The project involved drawing an ordinary technological object, its parts and what the object is used for, Dukov said.

“I took the idea of a hard drive as the last record of a society, or the story of an actual whole planet,” he said.

Quevedo’s guidance encouraged Dukov to develop his drawing to understand the role of technology in architecture, Dukov said.

Quevedo said he likes to see the variety of submissions that professionals and students from different universities submit at the competition. He works in hand media, or hand-drawn architectural pieces, and teaches conceptual drawing and basic design at UTA.

“We approach drawing as exploring spatial ideas — very conceptual drawings that may not look like architecture but is architronics,” Quevedo said.

Quevedo advises his students to make whatever media they work in their own. Wheat was Quevedo’s student and looking at his professor’s work and techniques, Wheat said he re-evaluates his own work, and shows his work to his students and tries to get them excited about their projects.

“That’s what makes them excited about working 20 hours a day on one design,” he said.

@vallarigupte

vallari.gupte@mavs.uta.edu

(1) comment

blutius
blutius

reporting on the results of a drawing competition, it would be nice to actually see the drawings....