UT Arlington Esports to host Thanksgiving-themed LAN event for charity

Biology freshman Huy Vu plays League of Legends while joking with his teammates at the We Love Gaming! LAN event held by UTA eSports April 20, 2018, at the College of Business Building. UT Arlington Esports will host a Thanksgiving-themed event on Nov. 15. 

UT Arlington Esports will host a Thanksgiving-themed local area network, or LAN, event from 2 to 11 p.m. Friday in the College of Business Building Room 245.

The Harvest LAN event is free for visitors and spectators, said Alex Rocha, computer engineering junior and UT Arlington Esports vice president. Anyone wanting to participate will have to pay a $5 general admission fee and bring their own devices, but Ethernet cables will be provided.

This will be the fourth LAN event of the semester hosted by the club, Rocha said. Featured tournaments include Mortal Kombat 11, Tekken 7 and Super Smash Bros.

Entry fees from the Super Smash Bros. tournament and a $100 bonus from the club will all go toward the grand prize, he said. There will be special prizes from sponsors at the event for the Mortal Kombat 11 and Tekken 7 tournaments. The club will also host its first Call of Duty: Modern Warfare tournament, for consoles only.

Tournament entry fees will be waived if the person brings their gaming setup, Rocha said.

All proceeds from sales, admissions and streams will be donated to Extra Life, he said.

Extra Life is a charity that unites gamers around the world to play games in support of local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, according to its website.

“Every year we host an event in honor of that charity, and we contribute all of the proceeds from the event,” Rocha said. “This one’s really big for us.”

@DJ_Shaw_