University Center renovations to block off a section of West First Street

Fence panels block off the loading dock July 3 on the north side of the University Center. The dock will undergo renovations July 5 through July 19, blocking off part of West First Street between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

Renovations to the University Center dock along the north side of the building will block a section of West First Street for two weeks.

Don Lange, Auxiliary Operations and Logistics director, said in an email the section of road between South West and South Oak streets will be blocked off starting July 5 until July 19, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day.

These renovations are part of the University Center production kitchen renovation project, Lange said. A grease trap in the ground outside the loading dock of the University Center is being replaced as part of the project.

Pedestrians will notice construction fence panels around the north docking zone outside the UC. These panels will block off the street and close access to metered parking and the south sidewalk, with traffic to be redirected to the north side of West First Street, Lange said.

At the end of day around 7 p.m. the street will be reopened to allow eastbound traffic to continue down to South Oak Street, Lange said.

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.