A construction-related gas leak caused roads in front of the University Center to shut down for more than three hours Tuesday evening.
The gas leak was reported around 5 p.m. after a contractor digging along the northern UC entrance hit a buried natural gas line with excavating equipment, said Robert Smith, Environmental Health & Safety Office associate director.
The digging was a part of the construction project to build a new $9.8 million UC north entrance.
Arlington Fire Department and Atmos Energy, a natural gas distributor, were on the scene.
College Street, South West Street, Oak Street and West First Street were closed following the report. UTA Police and MavAlerts warned individuals to stay clear of the area.
Smith said the gas leak was contained at around 8:30 p.m.
Lt. Mike Joiner, Arlington Fire Department public information officer, said no injuries were reported, and no public threats were noted.