Blackboard will be completely replaced by Canvas at UTA starting this fall.

“We have converted approximately 1,030 classes from Blackboard to Canvas so far,” said Maria Martinez-Cosio, associate vice provost for Faculty Affairs, in an email.

Faculty can contact the elected Canvas College Champion representing their college or department and enroll in the training course to help make the switch easier, Martinez-Cosio said.

Associate professor Andrew Clark transitioned to using Canvas to instruct his courses.

“I became used to Blackboard and liked it, but I do like what I see from Canvas,” Clark said in an email. “It seems more up-to-date and user friendly. It looks like a 21st century application.”

Clark said the transition from Blackboard to Canvas has been smooth, and he prefers the new system.

Nursing sophomore Noorah Bdeir has used Blackboard since starting college and said she doesn’t like the abrupt switch to Canvas.

“I got so used to Blackboard,” said Bdeir. “I haven’t used [Canvas] since, like, elementary school.”

As more students and faculty use Canvas, Martinez-Cosio said there are multiple support systems in place for the transition. Technical assistance is available 24/7 via online chat or phone through Canvas HelpDesk.

Canvas has been used by many local school districts, including Mansfield ISD and Arlington ISD, Martinez-Cosio said.

The new system is also accessible through an app called Canvas Student. The app can be downloaded for free through the App Store or Google Play Store and includes features that allow students to submit their assignments, check grades and keep track of assignments through the calendar.

@MCastloo