During the annual Night Walk on Wednesday, Glenn Cole, UTA Police assistant chief, stood in an overlooked area next to the elevator by the University Hall bridge to demonstrate that a predator could easily hide there.

Cole said there is no functional reason for that area to be open, and he recommended to add something to block the space.

“You have to practice when you’re thumbing on your phones that you’re looking up every 15 or 20 seconds just so you know who’s walking behind you,” he said.

Five groups led by the Student Government leadership team spanned the UTA campus to find issues that can be easily fixed, said Mitul Kachhla, student body vice president. Each group had a facilities management staff member and a UTA Police Department official.

About 60 individuals, including Student Government representatives, facilities management staffers, Environmental Health and Safety members and UTA Police, participated in the event, Kachhla said.

Haley Ariyibi, Speaker of the Senate, had a group of eight Student Government members who noted 50 issues on campus needing replacements or improvements such as lights being out, broken signs and tripping hazards.

Ariyibi’s group walked the campus on foot to ensure the routes were safe for students.

Within the next week, Kachhla said he plans to compile the notes taken by each group into three categories: Facilities Management, UTA Police and Environmental Health and Safety. Then, he will email the notes to each department head.

It is up to each department to fix the issues, he said.

Political science freshman Emma Giles said it was fun to walk around campus since most of her classes are only in three buildings.

Giles said there are people on campus with disabilities that can be affected by tripping hazards, and finding issues like that is important.

“It’s important to make sure the campus is safe and the areas are well lit so that nothing bad happens,” she said.

Student Affairs chair Kimberly Hernandez said the event allows collaboration with officials to fix campus issues.

“At the end of the day, it’s our money that’s going into the institution, so it’s better to hear our complaints than to just have recommendations from third parties,” Hernandez said. “It makes it more easier for students to be heard.”