Student Government looks to fill two Supreme Court Justice seats

An empty chair in the Student Governance meeting room. Two positions are open for Student Government Supreme Court Justices.

Two Supreme Court Justice positions are available for students and Student Government officials who are looking to fill the seats.

Recently, two justices resigned from their positions and one was removed, resulting in three vacancies, said Jennifer Fox Taylor, Student Governance assistant director. The removal was made because the justice’s absences exceeded the three-absence limit before a student is removed from any branch of Student Government, she said.

One of the resignations was because the justice received an internship, and the other was for personal health reasons, Chief Justice Jordan Joiner said.

One of the seats has already been filled by biomedical engineering junior Bryce Morehead following a Student Senate majority vote confirmation on Oct.16.

All applications are being accepted for the position, but Student Government is looking for people that meet a certain criteria, said Britney Keza, student body vice president.

The most important criteria is that they are able to attend the biweekly two-hour meetings. Student Government is also looking for applicants that are not a liberal arts or engineering major, she said, in order to comply with the Student Community Constitution and Bylaws.

“No more than two (2) justices shall be students enrolled in the same college or a part of the same organization to limit any conflict of interest,” according to the constitution.

Currently, there are two liberal arts majors, two engineering majors and one science major serving on the Supreme Court, Keza said.

After applying, individuals will interview with members of the Leadership Team, and then the Student Body President will decide whether to appoint each applicant, Keza said. Then, the applicants must be confirmed by a majority vote from the Student Senate.

A Supreme Court justice is appointed to a two-year term, and Taylor said Student Government is looking for a student that can commit to those two years. No justice has served the two-year term because the position has only existed for a year since the Student Congress became the three-branch Student Government it is now, Taylor said.

Joiner said he will be the first justice to complete the two-year term at the end of next spring.

The justice’s job would consist of listening to Program Allocation Fund hearings, helping settle disputes, listening to appeals and more, Keza said.

Morehead said the application process is easy, and the interview with members from the Student Government Leadership Team wasn’t that bad either.

Keza and Student Body President Yash Singh are approachable people, and students shouldn’t be scared to talk to them if they’re interested in one of the two open justice positions, he said.

He said standing in front of the Student Senate to be confirmed made him more nervous than the interview.

“It was a little nerve-racking to go up there in front of a whole bunch of people that I didn’t know,” Morehead said.

Morehead said he applied because he saw an opportunity to improve the campus, and if anyone wants to do the same, they should apply to be a Supreme Court Justice.

“Don’t be afraid,” he said. “If you wanna go for it, go for it.”

@HeitmeierDalton

Dalton Heitmeier is the 86th Texas Legislature beat reporter.