The Division of Student Affairs sent out an email Tuesday asking the UTA community for donations for Rebekah and Susanna Karth and their family.

The Karth family suffered a tragedy May 4 when the Karths' mother and younger siblings were in a car accident in Georgia. AnnaLeah Karth, 17, was killed in the wreck and Mary Lydia Karth, 13, died a few days later, Rebekah Karth said via Facebook. Their mother also is still in the hospital and their younger brother, Caleb Karth has a concussion but is otherwise in good condition, according to Rebekah Karth’s Facebook status updates.

Kerri Ressl, The Leadership Center director, said they were compelled to help because of Rebekah Karth’s giving nature.

“She’s one who will give but doesn’t take,” Ressl said. “She is a very selfless person.”

Rebekah Karth is known on campus because of her involvement in several organizations, including the Graduate Student Senate, where she has served as the 2013 vice president. She is also an employee in the Division of Student Affairs.

Rebekah Karth and Susanna Karth, her sister, are both graduating this weekend. Rebekah Karth also had scheduled her wedding to John Black for this Saturday. Rebekah Karth and Black have made the decision to continue with their wedding because her sisters were looking forward to it.

The email asked initially for donations toward Rebekah Karth’s rehearsal dinner, but Ressl said two donors, who wish not to be acknowledged, stepped up to cover the expenses. 

Additional donations are now being given to a Wells Fargo fund listed that has been set up in Rebekah Karth’s name. Members of the UTA community can drop off donations at the Leadership Center in the University Center Lower Level room B160. Ressl said gift cards are also being accepted.

“Anything to help towards general expenses will be helpful in a time like this,” Ressl said.

Donations can be made directly to Rebekah Karth’s Wells Fargo fund by visiting any Wells Fargo branch and writing “Rebekah J. Karth, Benefit Karth Family" in place of the account number on a deposit slip. The account will be open until August, Ressl said.

This story has been updated.