Stay in check with these health organizations

Attendees go into a warrior pose during a yoga group exercise class Feb. 8 inside the Maverick Activities Center. 

Student health organizations aim to increase awareness of mental health issues along with providing assistance about how to live a healthy lifestyle. Active Minds, Health Occupations Students of America, Mantra Yoga Lounge and Student Health Advisory Committee are just a few organizations with that goal. A list of all student organizations and their information can be found on MavOrgs.

Active Minds

Active Minds was established to increase awareness of issues surrounding mental health, symptoms related to mental health disorders and provide resources, secretary LaSydra Powell said in an email.

Active Minds serves as a liaison between the student body and the mental health community by hosting guest speakers, organizing fundraisers and running national Active Minds programs designed to reduce the stigma and raise mental health awareness, she said.

Powell said anyone can be a part of the organization by following the group’s social media pages or emailing her to join their mailing list.

The meetings are held from noon to 1 p.m. every other Wednesday for about an hour. The location is to be announced so the best thing to do is follow Active Minds on social media to find out, she said.

Health Occupations Students of America 

This group’s mission is to empower future health professionals to become leaders in the community through education, collaboration and experience, vice secretary Christina Onabajo said in an email.

“We, like other pre-professional groups on campus, strive to pave a clear path for students seeking careers in medicine,” she said. “However, our organization is unique because our members compete on the state and national level in a number of disciplines.”

Competing students are able to network and learn more about a profession they want to be a part of, Onabajo said.

To join this organization, students are required to pay a fee associated with membership and competition, she said.

The meetings are held at noon every other Wednesday in the Central Library Room 315A and last about 50 minutes, Onabajo said.

Mantra Yoga Lounge

The goal of Mantra Yoga Lounge is to be a place where people can come together and improve their health and studies, President Giridhari Rathod said.

Each week, there are teachings based on how someone can live their life focusing on the body’s health as a whole along with the mind, Rathod said.

Throughout the semester, there will be speakers who have a better understanding of yoga, Rathod said.

Mantra Yoga Lounge meets at 6 p.m. on Thursdays primarily in University Center San Saba Room for about two hours, Rathod said.

After each meditation workshop, vegetarian food from the Dallas Krishna restaurant is provided. 

Student Health Advisory Committee

Student Health Advisory Committee is a group of student liaisons between Health Services administrators and the student body concerning health-related issues, according to UTA’s Health Services website.

Student Health Advisory Committee’s goal is to spread awareness of the medical services available on-campus and assist in the physical and mental well-being of students.

“SHAC gives students a unique opportunity to work closely with professionals in the health care industry and be a part of something that benefits the entire UT Arlington community,” according to their webpage.

@breeew007