Parking and Transportation Services adds extra MavMover shopping shuttle, expands escort golf carts

A MavMover bus travels through a parking lot at 701 E. Pioneer Parkway on Sept. 5 in South Arlington. The new green line was instituted because of student demand. 

As student demand increases, UTA has upgraded its student transportation services by adding a shopping shuttle bus and more late-night escort golf carts.

Recent upgrades to these services include adding a bus to the MavMover shopping shuttle, said Farouk Salem, Parking and Transportation Services assistant director. The bus takes students to various interest points throughout the city, such as downtown Arlington, Walmart, the Parks Mall and the Ben Thanh Plaza.

Previously, the shuttle took students to north Arlington three days a week and to south Arlington two days a week, he said. With the extra bus, the north and south routes will be available five days a week.

The Mavs Courtesy Escort also added new golf carts and drivers to meet demand during peak usage hours, Salem said.

“The ridership is still continuously increasing, and we’re doing everything we can to keep up with the demand,” he said.

Salem said the department is always looking for potential improvements.

“We try to do our best to get the pulse of the students and make sure that we’re doing everything that we can, within reason and within budget, to meet those needs,” he said.

Salem said the extra bus was added because the need for the shopping shuttle increased by 804% from the 2017-2018 to the 2018-2019 school year.

“We immediately saw demand skyrocket for that shopping shuttle,” he said. “We had to put together the way to make that happen and get that extra bus.”

Architecture junior Abednego Leal said since he doesn’t have a vehicle, transportation services like these are essential for him. He likes the different options.

“It’s very efficient, it’s very important,” Leal said. “I find myself [using the services] pretty much every single day.”

Salem said the university is also looking to possibly add a bikeshare program to give students even more options.

Parks and Transportation Services is always looking to hear student feedback, which he said can be directed to shuttles@uta.edu.

@DavidSilvaetc