The Maverick Promise program will no longer be offered, but the university will continue to give a combination of grants to eligible students, according to the UTA Financial Aid and Scholarships website.

University spokeswoman Kristin Sullivan said although the university is no longer using the name Maverick Promise, the maximum amount for the grants will still be offered to students who qualify.

Karen Krause, executive director of Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Veteran’s Affairs, said this will not affect students’ financial aid.

“The Maverick Promise was a program, not a specific award, and that was part of the confusion,” Krause said. “So that’s part of the reason why we decided to do away with it. It created way more confusion and more questions than it really helped. It hasn’t really changed what a student will receive from a dollar standpoint at all.”

Krause said grants that were included under the Maverick Promise program title were the Pell Grant, MAV Grant, Maverick Promise Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant and Texas Public Education Grant.

She said when the Maverick Promise was initially offered to students, it covered 100 percent of tuition and fees for eligible students, but several years ago that changed.

“Our funding really was significantly decreased and because of that, we had gone to this range between 60 and 100 percent of tuition and fees,” Krause said. “We still didn’t carry the same amount that it had when it was 100 percent, so we fought lots of battles over it, and it became pretty clear that it was going to be easier to just not call it Maverick Promise.”

In 2015, 2,636 students received some money from the program, Krause said.

Krause said students need to apply for financial aid for the 2015-2016 school year by the priority deadline Wednesday to be considered for maximum grant funding.

“There’s no need to panic,” Krause said. “Students just need to do what they’ve always done.”

@ssorayah

sorayah.zahir@mavs.uta.edu