LGBTQ+ Program to host Queersgiving event for LGBTQ members of the UTA community

Monsserrat Peralda, accounting and finance junior, enjoys a Thanksgiving meal during the Queersgiving event on Nov. 20, 2018, in the University Center. The LGBTQ+ Program will host the event this year on Nov. 21 at the University Center Carlisle Suite.

The LGBTQ+ Program will host Queersgiving, a Thanksgiving event for LGBTQ students, staff and allies, from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the University Center Carlisle Suite.

The event will emphasize that LGBTQ students have a family at UTA, Jessica Sanchez, assistant director for the Relationship Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention and LGBTQ+ programs. Guests will be served turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, eggplant, cranberry sauce, rolls and cheesecake.

All UTA students, faculty and staff are welcome, Sanchez said. She expects to have between 50 and 70 guests.

“Anyone who wants to have a great meal in a fun and loving environment is welcome to come,” Sanchez said.

Traditionally, holidays can be a stressful time for LGBTQ people, who may not have a support system at home or may not be out to their family, she said. Events such as Queersgiving are important because they provide a space for LGBTQ students and allies to support each other and be themselves.

“They can be exactly who they are and hopefully feel supported at this event,” Sanchez said.

In addition to eating and mingling, LGBTQ students who are graduating will be acknowledged and will receive a Maverick PRIDE sash for graduation.

@spencerbrewer10