Lady Mavericks head coach signs contract extension through the 2022-23 season

Head coach Krista Gerlich directs players during the Sun Belt Conference Women's Basketball semifinals game against the University of South Alabama on March 15 at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana. Gerlich signed a contract extension that runs through the 2022-23 season. 

Krista Gerlich, women’s head basketball coach, signed a contract extension Tuesday, keeping her on the sidelines through the 2022-23 season.

Gerlich led the Lady Mavericks to a successful 2018-19 season, with a 24-8 record, making it the second time the program recorded that many wins. The team won the regular season Sun Belt Conference Championship and earned the program’s first ever postseason win in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament first round.

When Gerlich and her coaching staff began in the 2013-14 season, the women’s basketball team hadn’t recorded a winning season for four consecutive years. She said a culture change was needed to revamp the team.

“We just have really tried to put a lot of pride back into the program,” she said.

Six years ago the goal was to win a championship, Gerlich said. Now that the team has done that, its become the standard.

Now, her goals are to reach the NCAA tournament and advance in it, becoming a top women’s basketball program.

In her six seasons at UTA, Gerlich has achieved a 100-83 career record and is already the fourth longest tenured coach in program history. Athletic director Jim Baker said in a press release that having Gerlich has only scratched the surface of potential future success.

“Her passion and excitement for UTA is contagious,” Baker said. “She has built the Lady Mavericks into a contender in the Sun Belt Conference and we are very excited about the future.”

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.