University Hall has received renovations that include new furniture and more power outlets.

There is a budget of about $75,000 for renovations in University Hall, which includes furniture, ceiling tile upgrades and new paint, lighting and flooring, said Jeff Johnson, maintenance operations and special projects director.

So far, new lab, lounge and collaborative furniture was moved into the building’s first floor, said interior project coordinator Kenny Jefferson.

Jefferson said the goal is to uplift the buildings on campus to the level of the Science and Engineering Innovation and Research Building.

Political science junior Corrina Sullivan said the addition of more power outlets is one of the most positive aspects.

“It’s more inviting, and honestly, people are more likely to stay on campus, which can also just benefit the community as a whole,” Sullivan said.

The renovations came after a Student Government resolution titled “Couch Potato” was passed in November 2018 with 24 votes in favor and none opposing, according to a previous Shorthorn article. The resolution called for new couches and other furniture to be placed on the first floor of University Hall.

Political science sophomore Tyrin Prichett wrote the resolution after noticing the visibly worn down and dated furniture.

“It wasn’t a good environment for people to study or relax before class. If you just got out of class, and you have another class in 10 minutes, it wasn’t a relaxing spot,” Prichett said.

He said when you sat on the couches you would sink down until you touched wood.

“You can tell that they really took their time to find what would be the best aesthetically,” he said.

In October 1998, there was a similar resolution titled “Relaxing Between Classes” that called for new furniture in University Hall but was killed in committee because new furniture was ordered that November.

Psychology junior Cameron Sullins said students can use the new space to study in groups, and collaboration is much easier than before.

“It makes it feel way more relaxing and comfortable to actually sit around here. It used to be just a really big open space, and you really couldn’t sit down or anything,” Sullins said.

@katecey1