Crime log

This is a wrapup of crime for July 30 to Aug. 12.

Impersonating a public servant

Two male students reported receiving a call — one on Aug. 1 at about 4 p.m. and another on Aug. 2 at about 11 a.m, both on the 700 block of South Davis Drive — from scammers pretending to work for a governmental organization, according to the UTA crime log.

UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said there was no financial loss as a result of the calls.

To combat scams, UTA Police provides a list of recent scams targeting students and multiple tips on how to avoid them.

Scams can occur on social media, through email or over the phone and often involve scammers pretending to be school officials, IRS agents or other government employees, according to the UTA Police website.

According to the Texas Penal Code, impersonation of a public servant is a third degree felony. A third degree felony is punishable by a jail term between two and 10 years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

Forgery, financial instruments

Female staff members reported seven forged checks written in the university’s name at the Division of Business Affairs.

On July 30 at about 12 p.m., two forged checks were reported that totaled approximately $1,600.

On Aug. 2 at about 11:30 a.m., a forged check was reported that totaled approximately $2,750.

On Aug. 5 at about 11: 30 a.m, a forged check was reported that totaled approximately $425.

On Aug. 12 at about noon, three forged checks were reported that totaled approximately $2,100.

McCord said the payments on the checks were denied and no financial loss occurred on the part of the university.

Forgery/financial instrument valued at $750 or more but less than $2,500 is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, a jail term not to exceed one year or both, according to the Texas Penal Code.

Forgery/financial instrument valued at $2,500 or more but less than $30,000 is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, a jail term not more than two years or less than 180 days, or both.

@DavidSilvaetc