Health Services hosts Health and Wellness Fair covering physical, mental health

Mechanical engineering sophomore Steven Guillentrujillo gets a massage from Arlington Chiropractic marketer Stephanie Turpinat, right, during the Health and Wellness Fair on Oct. 16 in the University Center Palo Duro Lounge. The massage tool is designed to loosen the muscles in people's backs. 

Health Services held its first Health and Wellness Fair on Wednesday as a rebranding of the Wellness Expo hosted in past years.

The fair was in partnership with The Shorthorn, which published its Health and Wellness edition in print and online the same day to coincide with the event.

Partnering with the student run publication helped Health Services expand its reach, said Latoya Oduniyi, Health Services assistant director.

The fair consisted of about 20 vendors that covered Health Services’ eight pillars of health, Oduniyi said. From free massages highlighting physical wellness to counseling services, students learned about a variety of resources available on and off campus.

Aerospace engineering freshman Carlos Carmona said the fair was informative because it covered both the mental and physical aspects of health. There’s more to health and wellness than running a few miles and going to the gym, he said.

At his high school, Carmona said mental health was not a topic widely discussed, and he has difficulty finding information on his own.

With the university openly talking about a wide variety of health and wellness aspects, he said it makes him feel more informed.

“It makes you feel safer,” Carmona said.

Oduniyi said sometimes people can be wary when talking about health and wellness, but the fair helped them let their guard down.

“Curiosity itself has lured a lot of people in,” she said. “People are actually stopping and asking some really great questions.”

With students constantly studying, they can sometimes neglect their health, said Mohit Singhal, computer science doctoral student.

Singhal said being reminded of mental health resources and getting to reach out to resources in a light-hearted event was good for students.

“It does give people a chance to de-stress,” Singhal said. “It gives them a chance to talk to people, get some free food and goodies.”