Grocery store shopping tips to help spring break body

One way of maintaining a healthy diet is to find healthier alternatives to your sweet, and typically unhealthy, favorites. HALO TOP ice cream uses stevia, a plant sweetener, to sweeten its product as an alternative to sugar.

As college students sometimes have swamped schedules, it can be hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Deciding on purchasing celery in place of a pack of powdered doughnuts may be difficult, but some students have made a life choice to eat healthier, not just temporary diet.

Here are some tips to help get that spring break body in full effect.

Drinks:

Even though a soda on a hot day can hit the spot, there are drink choices available without as much sugar or corn syrup.

Kinesiology freshman Stephanie Kelley said Zevia instead of traditional Coke or Sprite is her healthier soda of choice. There are no artificial flavors or tons of sugar in the drink, she said.

Soda, juice and tea are horrible, nursing freshman Catherine Quimbaila said. She advised drinking water instead.

Breakfast and snacks:

As easy as it is to reach for a quick bowl of sugary cereal for breakfast, there are more nutritious options students can choose from.

Quimbaila said instead of sugary cereal, incorporate fruit and vegetable protein shakes into your breakfast.

Kelley said protein bars, wheat sandwiches, grains, vegetables and fruits are perfect for breakfast and snacks throughout the day.

Snacking frequently is a good way feel better throughout the day and have more energy, she said.

“I love carrots. I think they are a good snack,” said Shane Snyder, graduate psychology teaching assistant, in an email. Bananas with peanut butter and apples are on the grocery list for snacks as well.

Lunch:

When midday hunger strikes, grabbing a Chick-fil-A sandwich and fries is tempting, but choosing a salad instead is more beneficial to your health.

It’s important to treat your body well and fuel it properly, Snyder said.

He said green spinach and kale are more nutritious than lettuce and other greens that are lighter in color.

If salad isn’t a preference, tomatoes and cucumbers with lemon and a little bit of salt is a good substitution, Quimbaila said.

Dinner:

For your main course, opt for chicken since it is leaner than beef, and try to stay away from pork because it’s full of sodium you don’t need, Quimbaila said.

Using spices like cumin, cayenne pepper, crushed pepper and cilantro in place of salt is much healthier for you, too, she said.

As a side dish or main entree, whole grain pasta and wheat bread instead of white bread is a better food choice when it comes to carbohydrates, she said.

Dessert:

Last but not least, choosing a healthy dessert can be a challenge, but there are options for those with an insatiable sweet tooth.

HALO TOP Ice Cream is a healthier alternative to regular ice cream, Kelley said. One pint of ice cream is only about 360 calories.

If ice cream after work or school is the plan, monitor the amount of sugar eaten throughout the day, Quimbaila said. Try to drink extra water on the days sugary snacks are on the menu.

“Food weaknesses are okay, just as long as you are aware of them,” Snyder said.

@DianteMarigny