About 70 people helped raised $250 at the Extra Life LAN charity event Friday from 5 p.m. to midnight.

The charity aimed to gather money by inviting people to play games for seven hours. Participants, who paid an entry fee of $5, could join the network of gamers by bringing their PCs or consoles. 

All of the proceeds from the event, hosted by eSports and the Entrepreneur Society, will go to the Children’s Medical Network Hospitals.

In the crowd of males there was biology freshman Angela Pham. Pham said she first started playing games on the computer because of her friends, and goes to LAN parties often.

"I think it’s cool that we can get together and have fun for one cause,” Pham said.

Tarrant County College student Tony Lam attended the LAN because his cousin plays for eSports. Lam won a gaming keyboard in a raffle hosted during the event.

“I feel like it’s a good thing that I donated five extra dollars for the cause,” Lam said.

Although some people brought their laptops to the event, others played on desktop computers.

“A laptop tends to be very hot,” alumnus Zachary Palmer said. “With a desktop, it’s a more open environment, it’s cooler inside so it’s better to game with.”

@PerlaCabrera_

pcabrera@mavs.uta.edu