Former UTA President Wendell Nedderman dies at 97

Former president Wendell Nedderman participates in Handicapped Administrator's Day on March 21, 1974. Jim Hayes, former head of the disability program, guided Nedderman and other administrators through a tour of the campus in wheelchairs to show how difficult it was for disabled students to get around. Nedderman died Wednesday night.

Former UTA President Wendell Nedderman died Wednesday night. He was 97 years old.

Nedderman served as acting president of UTA in 1972 and was appointed in 1974. He ended his tenure in 1992, when he retired. After his retirement, Nedderman continued teaching engineering courses at the university, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

Nedderman came to the university, then known as Arlington State College, in 1959 and was the founding engineering dean, according to an email current UTA President Vistasp Karbhari sent to students and faculty on Thursday.

Twenty-four buildings and more than 60 new programs were added during Nedderman’s tenure as president, almost doubling the university’s enrollment from fewer than 14,000 students to more than 25,000, according to Karbhari’s email.

Nedderman’s wife Betty Nedderman died in 2015, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

This story is developing and will be updated with information regarding funeral services when they are made available.

@NardaLPerez