default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Food court may add Mexican restaurant

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:00 am | Updated: 1:22 pm, Wed Apr 30, 2014.

In February, students learned about Pizza Hut’s March closing in the University Center food court. A survey of more than 2,400 students revealed what options are most desired: healthy options and Mexican food.  

“We identified Moe’s Southwest Grill as the best option for our students, faculty and staff, fulfilling both Mexican and healthy,” said Marvin Grand, resident district manager at Aramark for Dining Services, via email.

Prior to the survey, Dining Services conducted other focus groups and surveys with a cross-section of students, on-campus residents and commuters, as well as faculty, to increase dining program satisfaction, according to a previous Shorthorn article. 

“Prior customer feedback programs also revealed that Mexican was the preferred food category that was most desired,” Grand said in an email.

The menu, which includes tofu, has vegetarian and gluten-free options and multiple combinations for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, salads and more, according the company’s website. The restaurants also offer chips and salsa as a free side with purchase. 

A team of administrators from UTA, including former Student Congress President Varun Mallipaddi and Aramark representatives traveled to the Baylor University location in early April to experience the menu firsthand. It is not official that Moe’s will fill the empty area in the UC food court, but if it does, it will be the fifth Moe’s location in Texas. 

“I’m pretty excited about that,” Mallipaddi said. “My biggest hope is that whatever direction they end up going, by the beginning of fall semester, there will be some kind of option — hopefully Moe’s — that will be ready to go for our students.”

Aramark is working with the university and Moe’s to finalize details and the projected opening date will be announced when negotiations are finalized, Grand said in an email.

@AishaAdventures

aisha.willis@mavs.uta.edu

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Recent Activity

Featured Classified Ad