crime

This is a crime wrapup for Oct. 31 to Nov. 7.

Theft

A female student reported being a victim of an email scam Oct. 31 at about 4:30 p.m. that resulted in a $7,600 loss, said UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord.

The case remains active, according to the UTA crime log.

To combat scams, UTA Police provides a list of recent scams targeting students and multiple tips on how to avoid them on its website.

Scams can occur on social media, through email or over the phone and often involve scammers pretending to be school officials, IRS agents or other government employees, according to the website.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $2,500 and $30,000 is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, a jail term between 180 days and two years or both.

Theft

A male student reported being a victim of an email scam Tuesday at about 7:30 p.m. that resulted in a $2,000 loss, McCord said.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $750 and $2,000 is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, jail time for up to a year or both.

Assault Causing Bodily Harm

A female student reported being assaulted by two female nonstudents near the Engineering Research Building on Wednesday at about 11:00 p.m., McCord said.

The two nonstudents were arrested for the assault and transported to the Arlington Police Department Jail. The victim was treated at the scene by emergency medical services, McCord said.

According to the Texas Penal Code, assault is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, jail time for up to a year or both.

@DavidSilvaetc