One extra life for video games

Students gathered to play different video games during the Git Good LAN party hosted by UTA eSports in the Business Building.

An on-campus group has taken gaming to the next level.

UTA eSports, which stands for electronic sports, hosted a Git Good LAN party Friday where group members gathered on the Business Building second floor to play games such as HearthstoneStarcraft 2League of LegendsCivilization V and Super Smash Bros.

A LAN party is a gathering of people who are interested in playing video games across a local area network.

UTA eSports has been around since 2010 and has been active in gaming events such as Heroes of the Dorm since its creation.

The club was created so students could play video games and also view professional gaming matches with other students. The group hosts local area networking events throughout the semester where new people are welcomed.

Attendees were required to bring their own computer to the event and competed for prizes such as snacks and winners' certificates.

Sanjay Subramaniam, UTA eSports vice president and accounting junior, has been part of the team for three years.

Hosting LAN events like the one Friday is nothing out of the ordinary for Subramaniam and the team, which advanced to the fourth round of the Heroes of the Dorm tournament before losing today.

“It was very unfortunate,” Subramaniam said.

Finance junior Eugene Tseng acts as competitive team coordinator for the UTA eSports team and has been a gamer since the days of Super Mario 64. He also grew up playing games like Starcraft and Warcraft 3.

“I switched to Heroes of the Storm since Blizzard’s promoted the Heroes of the Dorm tournament for the collegiate teams,” Tseng said.

Tseng said Heroes of the Storm is still relatively new among the gaming crowd.

Criminal justice junior Adam Emerson is new to UTA eSports and acts as the treasurer. He isn’t part of the competitive team, but he frequently watches eSports on YouTube and Twitch.

“I think eSports is growing, and I think in the future it’s only going to get bigger,” Emerson said. “Especially as our generation has grown up playing video games. As we move forward in the future it’s going to become more popular and prominent.”

Emerson said that he will continue to follow eSports for awhile.

“I sometimes joke with my fiancée that our kids will be watching eSports,” Emerson said.

@atgregg88

aaron.gregg@mavs.uta.edu