Door prizes, free screenings to be available at Health Services open house

Darla Shaw, Health Services nurse practitioner, takes marketing senior Amani Said’s blood pressure during an open house in 2018 held by the Health Services Center. This year's open house will feature door prizes and various free health screenings.

Health Services is hosting an open house with free HIV testing and blood pressure, glucose and vision screenings from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday.

Yvonne Medrano, Health Services communications assistant, said the event is about increasing the visibility of health services for students.

“It’s a way to kind of open up the health center so they can look inside and actually see the facility and the different areas and departments that we have,” Medrano said.

Door prizes will be given at random to attending students. These gifts include snacks, toiletries and dorm essentials baskets. There will also be a raffle with a $200 UTA Bookstore shopping spree for students who visit an info table and get a screening.

There will be multiple other organizations at the open house. These include Campus Recreation, which will provide free massages, and Counseling and Psychological Services.

Health Services provides general medicine with a staff of physicians and nurse practitioners, Medrano said.

The center provides the same services as a family clinic anywhere else in the community, she said. It also has a full women’s health clinic and pharmacy and can conduct lab testing, x-rays and immunizations.

@SpencerBrewer10