What’s leaving and what’s new to dining at UTA, Boba tea in the UC

The sun hits the south side of Vandergriff Hall in the College Park District on Aug. 15. Two new businesses are expected to open in the area. Student feedback led the university to pursue bringing Pie Five back to the district.

It’s a new semester, and that means new food and retail options on campus. Here is an update on some of the new businesses opening their doors and some of the ones leaving.

College Park District

A new franchise has been identified for Pie Five Pizza Co. but has not signed an agreement, University Center director David Albart said. The agreement is set to be signed Wednesday and the hope is for the restaurant to be reopened in early October.

Student feedback led the university to pursue bringing Pie Five back to College Park District after the restaurant closed unexpectedly in February.

“We hear almost on a daily basis how much they appreciated [Pie Five],” Albart said. “That’s really why we focused so heavily on that particular brand.”

Other potential franchises approached UTA initially but did not end up making an agreement. The franchise owns other Pie Five locations, and Albart is confident that UTA’s location will reopen soon after the agreement is finalized.

Construction is underway on the new Wells Fargo location in the College Park District and will wrap up by mid-November, Albart said.

The bank had a location in the University Center but closed after its lease ended last year, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

The vegan Mexican restaurant Down to Earth has left its shared space with Bombay Chopstix, according to a post on the company’s social media. The restaurant will continue to operate as a food truck in the Metroplex.

A new leasing office for Park7 Group will be moving in the same spot where the Liv+ Arlington leasing office used to be. It will be a short-term lease and should begin around mid-September, Albart said.

The university reached out to Tex-Mex restaurants to move into the spot where Texadelphia was previously located, but none of them moved forward, Albart said.

In February, President Vistasp Karbhari quote-tweeted the wing bar, Pluckers, asking the company to consider opening a UTA location and called on UTA students to do the same with their favorite brands.

Albart said his office reached out to these brands, including Pluckers and Whataburger, based on the interest expressed by students but they have not resulted in any deals.

“There are some still out there that we’re still working on, others that have come back and said ‘Hey, right now we’re not interested,’” he said.

University Center

Subway was closed for the summer while final renovations were being completed, Albart said. It had temporarily opened in the spring to meet student demand.

A second line has been added to help with wait times, Albart said. The restaurant begins its regular hours Wednesday.

A boba tea shop named Teaco is coming to the UC, said Stephanie Edgett, contract management assistant director. It will be housed in the UC Plaza where the Short Line has been located.

The location is expected to open in early September and offer a variety of boba tea and smoothies. Minor construction should start soon, Edgett said.

New vegan options are coming to campus as well.

The Market in the UC will begin sharing vegan restaurant Krishna Lunch menu items in August, Edgett said. The offerings will be offered in other select Market locations on campus as well.

The Connection Café was under renovations for most of the summer but has reopened for the fall, Albart said. Renovations included new flooring and new kitchen equipment.

The Commons

Burger 817 will be taking the place of Mediterranean restaurant Za’tar this semester, Albart said. Burgers, chicken strips, veggie burgers and salads will be offered at the location.

Za’tar was underperforming, so UTA Dining decided to test run a burger option in the spring, Albart said. The burgers outsold all the other menu options, leading to the decision to replace Za’tar with a burger restaurant.

“The students spoke with their buying power,” he said.

@reeseoxner