The Department of Modern Languages is presenting Bilingual Poetry Reading: Creation and Migration at 12:30 p.m. Thursday in room 303 of the Chemistry and Physics Building.

The event is in collaboration with the Center for Mexican American Studies and the Charles T. McDowell Center for Critical Languages and Area Studies.

Balam Rodrigo is an acclaimed poet and dynamic speaker from Chiapas, Mexico. Rodrigo will feature readings from his latest award winning book, Libro Centroamericano De Los Muertos.

The book discusses the daily challenges that Central Americans face when crossing the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

The purpose of the event is to see the relationship between creative activities, such as poetry and literature, and social issues in Mexico today, said Ignacio Ruiz-Perez, Center for Mexican American Studies assistant director and Modern Languages associate professor.

Ruiz-Perez said he hopes students become aware of the struggles and the suffering that Central American people face when trying to cross into the U.S.

@katecey1