Department of Modern Languages converts Global Language Collaboration Space into tutoring center

Students study in the newly remodeled Global Language Collaboration Space on Oct. 10 in Trimble Hall. This space offers tutoring services for various language courses.

The Department of Modern Languages recently renovated its Global Language Collaboration Space.

Originally a meeting space, the department converted it to a centrally located tutoring center, department chair Sonia Kania said. The tutoring center’s $20,000 renovations included glass doors, LED lighting, carpeting, paint, projectors, computers and more.

The department is committed to student success and offers several systems of support to its students, Kania said. The tutoring center serves as a formal one-stop for students needing help in all language courses.

The center is open Monday through Friday, has a total of 15 tutors and is housed in Trimble Hall, she said. It offers free tutoring services in eight languages: American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Korean, Russian and Spanish.

A schedule is available for students to plan when they might stop by the center, Kania said. No appointment is required, but it is important for students to keep the schedule in mind when considering walking in.

Kania said the center also encourages students to collaborate with others.

Biology senior Marco Torres said he recently started going to the center for tutoring on Korean.

“It helps to just practice with people that know whatever you’re learning,” Torres said.

He said hearing and speaking is the best way to learn a language after reading or writing.

“The [tutor] helps you learn, get a hold of how to actually enunciate words and how the flow of the language goes,” Torres said.

Sindy Gonzalez, Spanish graduate student and tutor, said she has learned a lot about how to teach students and recognizing what they need to succeed.

“We get students from different levels, and you see the progress,” Gonzalez said.

There are many benefits to learning a second language, Kania said. Understanding different languages promote greater tolerance, empathy and acceptance of others.

It opens their eyes to the world, she said.

Gonzalez said the Modern Language department is a community that supports its students. Tutors can help you with grammar, writing an essay or just having a conversation.

“It will help you get a better job or get a raise in [the] job you actually have because you speak another language,” Gonzalez said.

@katecey1