City to spray for West Nile virus

The city of Arlington will spray for West Nile virus on Wednesday and Thursday. 

The city of Arlington will be conducting targeted ground spraying for West Nile virus on Wednesday and Thursday, after a single mosquito sample tested positive for the virus, according to the city’s press release.

The ground spraying will be conducted between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., weather permitting, and is planned to be contained to the East Mayfield Road at New York Avenue area.

This action came after recommendations to treat the area with confirmed presence of the virus from the City of Arlington Health Authority, Tarrant County Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The city is also working to prevent the spread of the virus.

“The city has conducted routine trapping and deployed larvicide in strategic locations throughout Arlington since the beginning of mosquito season. Crews have also surveyed low-lying areas for standing water, which are potential mosquito breeding grounds,” according to the press release.

No risk to animals or the environment is anticipated, and no special precautions need to be taken. Those with breathing problems or chemical sensitivity can reduce potential exposure by remaining indoors while the area is being treated.

For more information about the targeted ground spraying, please call the city of Arlington’s Action Center at 817-459-6777.

@bekah_morr