The Center for Mexican American Studies is hosting their first Speaker Series event of the semester, titled Politics, Culture and Society: A Transnational Talk from 12:30 to 2 p.m Tuesday in the University Center Concho Room.

The free event will promote dialogue between two writers: Luis Felipe Fabre, a Mexican poet and professor, and American journalist John Gibler, who predominantly writes from and about Mexico. The writers will discuss how current sociopolitical developments and issues impact literature and culture, according to the center’s website.

There will be a Q&A after the discussion where students will get the chance to have their questions answered, said Christian Zlolniski, Center for Mexican American Studies director.

The event is co-sponsored by The Wild Detectives, a bookstore bar combo in Dallas, whose efforts to make culture approachable have received international attention, Zlolniski said.

“It’s an opportunity to showcase and also learn about what has become a very vibrant cultural scene, produced by Latinos, which is reaching out beyond Hispanics,” he said.

@katecey1