default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Workshop shows students how to make profiles employer-friendly

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:15 am

Companies are starting to utilize social media for more than just putting out advertisements for specials and products. Some companies use social media to get a deeper look at potential employees.

Employers today may search through an applicant’s social media to look for anything that might damage the company’s image. This has prompted the Career Center to include a Managing Your Digital Dirt workshop, a class showing students how to clean up their social media pages, in their workshop series to help students succeed.

Jennifer Moreira, biology sophomore, said it’s important for students to watch what they say online.  

“You can tell a lot by someone’s social media who they interact with, the way they speak on there, their grammar,” Moreira said. “So, I think you should keep it up to par.” 

Facebook and Twitter aren’t the only social media websites that count. Blogging sites such Tumblr and Wordpress are also websites that should be carefully managed but are less of a concern, Cheri Butler, Career Center associate director, said.

“Blogging can move a student in a professional direction,” she said. “Blogging on topics in their future career can demonstrate their knowledge in the field.”

Butler said Twitter is more of a concern because it’s faster-paced than Facebook or other social media sites.  

“Because Twitter is in ‘real time.’ People write off the top of their head and don’t think about the consequences,” she said. “Think about things before posting or commenting.”

Biology junior Peter Tran said Facebook is a big concern.

“Facebook gives off too much information,” he said.  

A tip the Career Center representatives give students is to Google their name. What comes up in the search results is what everyone, including employers, will see. If anything unfavorable shows up, a student may need to consider cleaning up their online footprint. 

“Are you going to be happy with what others find out about you?” Butler said about students Googling their name. 

The Managing Your Digital Dirt workshop will be Oct. 10 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. in the Career Center, Davis Hall Room 216. 

The workshop will show students how to clean up and manage their “digital dirt” as well as use social media responsibly. Digital dirt can be any visuals, such as photos and videos or status updates that reference inappropriate behavior, Butler said.

@ShorthornAndrea

andrea.fisher@mavs.uta.edu

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Recent Activity

Featured Classified Ad