default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Spaniolo to choose students, faculty to interview candidates

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:54 pm | Updated: 3:30 pm, Thu Feb 14, 2013.

President James Spaniolo will select students and faculty to interview candidates who will visit the campus some time before February, the UT System decided during a phone meeting today.

The presidential search committee will then select three candidates for the Board of Regents to interview in February, UT System spokeswoman Jenny LaCoste-Caputo said.

The groups are typically made up of no more than five university representatives, LaCoste-Caputo said.

How many presidential candidates selected to visit the campus and interview with the representatives is confidential, LaCoste-Caputo said.

The search advisory committee began interviews in October with 16 candidates. Six candidates were invited back for the most recent round of interviews in November. 

Names of candidates will remain confidential until a finalist or finalists are selected after the board interviews the remaining candidates in February.

Spaniolo was one of five finalists for the position in 2003. However, is it unusual for the board to name that many finalists, LaCoste-Caputo said.

"More often than not, a lone finalist is named, " LaCoste-Caputo said.

LaCoste-Caputo cited the presidential search for UT Health Science Center in Houston where Giuseppe Colasurdo was hired in October. 

"The board conducted interviews all that day and came out and a named lone finalist," LaCoste-Caputo said.

Finalists must be named to the public 21 days before a hire is made, even if there is only one finalist.

In June, Spaniolo announced his plans to retire but said he will remain in his role until a successor is chosen.

Check back at www.theshorthorn.com for updates about the presidential search. 

@KristaMTorralva

krista.torralva@mavs.uta.edu

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Recent Activity

Featured Classified Ad