In a sea of students, Christine Chapman said she often feels like the minority among UTA’s diverse student body. 

At 28, she’s older than the traditional college student, and as a white woman, she said she often feels like she’s the odd one out.

So when the nursing junior learned that she had the most common traits of UTA students based off the university’s statistics -— white nursing female, undergraduate between 25 and 29 years old — she said she was definitely surprised.

“Oh really? Wow, I thought I was untypical,” Chapman said. “If I had to guess the typical student, I would say another ethnic group right out of high school.”

At one time, most UTA students were white, but since 2006, they have made up less than half of the entire student body. Today 42 percent of students are white, followed by Hispanics at 21 percent and blacks at 14.3 percent.

Chapman’s idea of a typical student proves that typical is subjective on UTA’s multiracial campus.

For instance, the typical male is an engineering student. The typical out-of-state student is from California, while the typical international student travels more than 8,000 miles from India. 

And while the typical GPA for an undergraduate male student is about a 2.83, it’s slightly higher for a female at 3.01. 

Also, the youngest students are from the College of Science with an average age of 22, while the oldest students are in the College of Nursing, with an average age of 31 years. 

The least typical student based off ethnicity is a Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander and could not be found for comment — there are only 48, according to the most recent data. 

UTA is ahead of the country when compared to other colleges and universities, according to the Pew Research Center. Mark Hugo Lopez, the Hispanic Center’s associate director, said by 2050 the country will be a minority majority.

Since 2006, UTA has been minority majority and, during the same year, Hispanics began leading the minority demographic.

This year, for the first time in the U.S., Hispanics have lead the minority in 18- to 24-year-old college students at 16.5 percent, according to a recent study by the Pew Hispanic Center. 

Now, UTA is on track for accurately reflecting the demographic of the community it is in, said Michele Bobadilla, Outreach Services and Community Engagement senior associate vice president.  

“It’s nice to see that the university is a reflection of the community and the state. You want to make sure all of the demographics are reflected,” Bobadilla said.

Some may say the university reflects more than the state. 

“The university here looks like the world. It’s a very interesting place,” university spokeswoman Kristin Sullivan said.

@KristaMTorralva

krista.torralva@mavs.uta.edu