default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

2013-2014 Maverick Speakers Series lineup released

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:45 pm | Updated: 10:52 pm, Tue Aug 20, 2013.

CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas are among the five guests in the 2013-2014 Maverick Speakers Series lineup.

The speakers are chosen to provide different viewpoints to the series as a whole, said Amy Schultz, associate vice president for communications and community relations.

“Timeliness of topics, such as our first speaker who will discuss his experiences as an undocumented immigrant as Congress at the same time that Congress is considering immigration reform, is also taken into account,” Schultz said in an email.

Some input from students, faculty and staff is also solicited, she said.

This is the sixth year the university is hosting the series. The program is open to the campus and community. General admission tickets are free.

The list was released a day ahead of schedule. University officials announced last week that the news would be released on Monday.

The complete list:

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas will present a lecture at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 24 at Texas Hall about undocumented immigrants in the U.S. Vargas runs Define American, a non-profit organization that addresses U.S. immigration issues. Vargas revealed he is an undocumented immigrant from the Philippines in a 2011 New York Times Magazine essay. Soon after his essay published, the Department of Homeland Security announced young immigrants who qualify under the DREAM Act would no longer be deported. Vargas also won a Pulitzer Prize as part of a team that covered the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting.

Tickets go on sale Aug. 26.

ESPN founder Bill Rasmussen will present a lecture at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at Texas Hall about creating the acclaimed sports network. Rasmussen and his son, Scott, founded ESPN in 1978 and debuted it Sept. 7, 1979, with SportsCenter. Today, ESPN broadcasts games and commentary shows about the NFL, MLB, the NHL and other sports. Rasmussen wrote a book in 2010 titled Sports Junkies Rejoice: The Birth of ESPN.

Tickets go on sale Sept. 19.

CNN anchor Anderson Cooper will present a lecture at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 11 in the College Park Center. Cooper has anchored "Anderson Cooper 360" on CNN since 2003. Before joining CNN in 2001, he was a correspondent for ABC News and Channel One News. He is also the host and executive producer for the daytime talk show called "Anderson." His awards include a Peabody, several Emmys and two GLADD Media Awards.

Tickets go on sale Oct. 3.

Neurosurgeon Sanjay Gupta will present a lecture at 7:30 p.m. March 18, 2014 at the College Park Center about medicine in the media. Gupta is CNN’s chief medical correspondent. He is also the chief of neurosurgery at Grady Memorial Hospital and an assistant professor at Emory University School of Medicine. On Aug. 8, CNN published an article with Gupta explaining why he now thinks marijuana can be beneficial to people’s health.

Tickets go on sale Feb. 13, 2014.

NPR correspondent Nina Totenberg will present a lecture at 7:30 p.m. April 8, 2014 at Texas Hall about the U.S. Supreme Court. Totenberg has been an NPR correspondent since 1975, reporting on issues such as sexual harassment allegations of a judge. Her coverage of that story won her a Peabody award and other recognitions in the early 1990s. She also contributes to other publications, including the New York Times Magazine and Parade Magazine.

Tickets go on sale March 6, 2014.

@KristaMTorralva

krista.torralva@mavs.uta.edu

@LindseyJuarez

lindsey.juarez@mavs.uta.edu

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Recent Activity

Featured Classified Ad