Scam call, computer burglary reported

This is a crime wrapup for the week of Oct. 28.

Theft

A female student reported a scam call Wednesday at about 7:30 p.m. that resulted in a $3,000 loss, said Jay Tillerson, UTA Police assistant chief.

Tillerson said the case is under investigation.

To combat scams, UTA Police provides a list of recent scams targeting students and multiple tips on how to avoid them on its website.

Scams can occur on social media, through email or over the phone and often involve scammers pretending to be school officials, IRS agents or other government employees, according to the UTA Police website.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $2,500 and $30,000 is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, a jail term between 180 days and two years or both.

Burglary of Building

A faculty member reported the burglary of a university computer from their office in the Geoscience Building on Oct. 28 at about 6:30 p.m., Tillerson said.

The computer is valued at about $3,000, he said. The case is under investigation.

According to the Texas Penal Code, burglary of a building is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, jail time between 180 days and two years or both.

Assault - Physical Contact

A female student reported physical contact by a male student at the Science and Engineering Innovation and Research Building on Tuesday at about 9:30 a.m., Tillerson said.

Tillerson said the male student was talking to the female student. The female student didn’t want to continue the conversation and attempted to walk off and he grabbed her shoulder.

The female student continued to walk, he said. The male student did not pursue her.

According to the Texas Penal Code, assault is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, jail time for up to a year or both.

@DavidSilvaetc