Brazos House to blossom into Brazos Park

Brazos House was demolished over summer 2018. Plans were announced to create Brazos Park, a green space in its place.

UTA plans to continue renovating Brazos Park throughout the fall semester.

The new green space will replace and pay tribute to Brazos House.

Students will return for the fall semester and notice a rubble-filled lot where Brazos House once stood, and construction for the park will begin.

Demolition began in June and UTA expects the Brazos Park to be available by the end of the fall semester, said John Hall, Administration and Campus Operations vice president, in an email.

“With an aging campus infrastructure, facility renovation and renewal becomes even more important to address,” Hall said. “Campus master plan calls for ‘greening’ the campus providing more outdoor spaces for our students.”

The Office of Facilities Management oversees the construction and designing for Brazos Park, he said. Design elements will be incorporated by reusing material from Brazos House in the back wall of the amphitheater.

According to this month’s UTA alumni newsletter, the university began a crowdfunding page to raise funds for Brazos Park.

“Located in the heart of campus, Brazos Park will feature an open-air amphitheater and green space for students to enjoy between classes and during special events,” according to the newsletter. “Join us as we reinvent this beloved space and create new memories of Brazos Park for the next generation of Mavericks.”

According to the Spark UTA website, the project goal is to raise $25,000 before Sept. 12. As of Aug. 21, $350 has been raised.

“[It will be] A new extension of UTA’s living-learning environment where alumni, students, and faculty can meet and attend special campus events,” according to the website.

Diane Jones Allen, Landscape Architecture Program director, said parks can be both passive and recreational. It takes people and outreach, landscape architects, and plant understanding to build a green space.

Green spaces are important because they save money on piping and collect runoff, she said. 

Bioengineering sophomore Jesus Torres said the new green space would benefit him because being a commuter means spending a lot of time on campus.

Torres expected Brazos House to be replaced by another building, and he was surprised to find out that it would be a green space.

“I’m going to be spending more time on campus,” he said.

@rocio_mhdz

UTA works on campus beautification while enhancing community gathering and environmental benefits.