Big Howdy Party presents opportunity for international students to meet new friends

Software engineering freshman Rabin Aryal dances to "Cupid Shuffle" by Cupid on Aug. 27, 2017 inside the Bluebonnet Ballroom during the Big Howdy Party. The event has welcomed international students to campus since 1998.

The semiannual Big Howdy Party will kickoff the semester by welcoming new international students to UTA. The free event runs from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday in the Bluebonnet Ballroom.

The Big Howdy Party started in 1998 and has provided support for international students by allowing them to mingle with students from different cultures in a celebratory environment, said program director Lezlie Langford. This year it features music and dancing from around the world, a potluck dinner and a western-themed photo booth.

“It’s a big party for international students to come and meet new friends,” Langford said.

A dedicated group of campus organizations, local churches and community volunteers have banded together to host the event, she said. The organizations include International Students Inc., Baptist Student Ministry, UTA Wesley Foundation, the Tri-C and the Cornerstone at UTA.

@katecey1