As of Thursday, Arlington property owners who want to operate a short-term rental such as an Airbnb in the city can now apply online for a permit.

In April, the city approved an ordinance establishing permitting procedures, operating guidelines and specific zoning districts for short-term rental operations, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

Previously, short-term rentals were prohibited in Arlington, according to a city news release. Now, nearly 5,000 groups of single-family homes, townhomes, duplexes and apartment units are eligible to apply.

To apply for a permit, owners need to pay a $500 nonrefundable fee.  

Short-term rentals with a city permit can operate in nonresidential and mixed-use districts, medium density and multi-family zoning districts, and in the designated short-term rental zone anchored by the Entertainment District that extends approximately one mile from its center.

Any short-term rental without a permit must cease operation by Oct. 1, according to the news release. However, short-term rentals previously registered with the city for hotel occupancy tax remittance before April 23 that are unable to obtain a permit must cease operation by Jan. 31, 2020.

@rocio_mhdz