Arlington Fire Department responds to two-alarm fire at Globe Life Field

A pair of Arlington Fire Department trucks sit outside of Globe Life Field on Dec. 14 in Arlington. The Arlington Fire Department responded to a two-alarm fire inside the construction site of the new Texas Rangers ballpark.

The Arlington Fire Department responded to a two-alarm structure fire at Globe Life Field at about 2 p.m. Saturday.

A preliminary investigation indicated that sparks from a welder started the fire on the sub-roof near the fifth floor of the stadium, according to an Arlington Fire Department statement. No injuries were reported, and the fire was contained within 37 minutes of the first fire department units arriving.

Manhattan Construction, the company overseeing the new ballpark’s construction, does not anticipate any delays in the opening of the stadium, according to a statement by company Vice President Greg McClure. However, inspections on the damage are still ongoing.

Approximately 2,000 square feet of roof area was damaged and will be removed, inspected and replaced, according to the statement. Limited damage to metal decking will also see replacements.

The stadium is scheduled to open in March 2020, with its first public event in mid-March and an exhibition game against the St. Louis Cardinals on March 23, according to the Globe Life Field website.

@rocio_mhdz