Arlington City Council approves $4.05M Via Rideshare renewal contract, expansion

A Via vehicle turns east off of Spaniolo Drive in College Park District on Aug. 28, 2018. Arlington City Council approves $4.05M Via Rideshare renewal contract.

Arlington City Council approved a $4.05 million contract renewal for Via Rideshare that includes expanded service to southeast Arlington on Tuesday.

The renewal is for an additional year, and it will provide 13 additional vans, bringing the total number to 28, according to a city council staff report. The city will fund $2.1 million of the $4.05 million.

On Sept. 19, City Council adopted the $523 million 2020 fiscal year operating budget, and it included $1.87 million to help expand the service. This money will be used to make up most of the $2.1 million, said Alicia Winkelblech, senior strategic initiatives officer, in an email.

The rest of the funding will come from the Federal Transit Administration and revenue generated from the service, according to the report. $1.2 million will come from the Federal Transit Administration, and the remaining $667,136 is from the revenue.

Winkelblech said the rideshare service will begin expansion in January.

With the expansion, 41% of Arlington’s land area will be covered, which includes about 191,000 people, according to the staff report.

The service currently covers UTA, downtown Arlington, the Entertainment District, the Trinity Railway Express CentrePort Station and a portion of the city east of Highway 360 between Division Street and Arkansas Lane.

Winkelblech said the current contract ends on December 10, and the new contract runs from Dec. 11, 2019, to Dec. 10, 2020.

@bjgarcia27