An inside look at the Student Senate resolution process

Senators discuss old business Nov. 19 during a Student Senate general body meeting in the University Center Student Government Chambers. The senate passed five resolution at the meeting.

Kinesiology senior Ana-Alycia Juarez said she felt excited when she learned her resolution “We need adequate lactation rooms!” passed Student Senate.

“Knowing that something’s going to be done and that my voice was heard, I mean — that just feels empowering,” Juarez said.

“We need adequate lactation rooms!” was one of five resolutions passed at the last Student Senate general body meeting on Nov. 19.

The resolution passed with 25 votes for, zero opposed and two abstentions, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

It calls for the university to make efforts in raising awareness of the lactation room locations, visible signage stating the rooms’ purpose, and the inclusion of a sink, table and no smoking signs in each room, according to the article.

While looking for a place to lactate, Juarez said she felt helpless since no one had information on a clean and private place she could go to.

“[The resolution] is to help the future students that when they’re in a position like me as a first-time mother, and you’re learning everything, that you’re not put into situations that make you uncomfortable,” she said.

After a resolution passes Student Senate, it moves to the Executive Branch of Student Government, where the Student Body president and vice president work on implementation, said Mitul Kachhla, Student Body vice president.

The five resolutions recently passed are added to the list of resolutions the Student Body president and vice president will work on implementing. There are 29 resolutions, and about 10 of them have been implemented.

Implementation starts with Student Body President Gavin Mitchell commenting on each resolution.

Mitchell and Kachhla then meet with Lisa Nagy, vice president for Student Affairs, to discuss the resolutions.

During this meeting, Kachhla said they work to pinpoint if the resolutions fall under the Division of Student Affairs.

If the issue is within the division, Nagy writes her final comments on the resolutions and then they go to President Vistasp Karbhari for approval.

If it is not a Student Affairs issue, Mitchell and Kachhla work with other administrators to implement the resolutions.

The resolution Juarez wrote will be discussed with John Hall, vice president for administration and campus operations, to discuss the cost and logistics, Kachhla said.

Hall has not worked on any resolutions this fall but when he does, he said in an email, he considers the cost, timelines and feasibility of a resolution.

“Communication is key in all that we do,” he said. “The [Student Government] resolutions is another example of how we can effectively communicate with our student leaders and the campus community as a whole.”

Once it’s approved, the resolution is filed in the Student Government office and Mitchell and Kachhla follow-up on if the implementation has occurred.

If the administration disagrees with the resolution, Mitchell and Kachhla consult with Nagy and Karbhari to reach an agreement or compromise, Kachhla said.

If both parties can’t agree, Kachhla said Nagy, Karbhari and appropriate administration members make final comments on why the resolution can’t be implemented, and it is then filed in the Student Government office.

The Student Body president would then leave a detailed note for future leaders if the issue is brought up again, Kachhla said. The resolution can be brought up after two years.