Women’s empowerment expo to feature panels, activities

The ILIVE Women's and Girl's Wellness and LifeStyle Expo will be this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the University Center.

The nonprofit Bee Empowered Inc. is bringing its sixth annual women’s and girls’ empowerment expo to campus from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in the University Center.

The ILIVE Women’s and Girl’s Wellness and LifeStyle Expo is a free event and will feature panelists, seminars, mommy-and-me segments and giveaways in an effort to initiate conversations with women of all ages. The event will also include resources and activities such as blood pressure checks, vision testing, glucose testing, massages, makeovers and vendors.

Organization executive director Demi Austin-Thomas said the event will kick off with goody bags for the first 500 attendees and the Ask the Doc panel sponsored by Medical City Arlington.

“This gives them an opportunity to sit, have a conversation [and] ask questions,” Austin-Thomas said. “Almost like an open town hall.”

The Mommy and Me Healthy Cooking Challenge Live Competition will partner up moms, sisters, aunts and daughters to make a full-course meal with healthy ingredients found in a mystery bag, Austin-Thomas said.

Following the challenge, she said the HERStory segment will feature a girl empowerment panel.

“The girl’s empowerment panel really does speak to that young girl who struggles with her self-identity, struggling with confidence,” Austin-Thomas said. “We’re talking about body shaming; we’re talking about embracing your uniqueness.”

The panel will also address topics such as anxiety, depression, suicide and social media culture, she said.

@rocio_mhdz