Vegetables can be prepared many ways

Cassandra Toney was a vegetarian for seven years. She loves all vegetables, except eggplant, but chooses to prepare vegetables with more versatility.

“Broccoli, carrots, peppers and leafy greens can be cooked or tossed into salads raw,” the industrial engineering distance education coordinator said. “They don’t get slimy like spinach does.”

Today is Eat Your Vegetables day and students are transforming vegetables to incorporate more nutrients into their diet.

According to www.choosemyplate.gov, eating vegetables provides many health benefits such as reduced risk of chronic disease. They provide nutrients vital to the health and maintenance of your body.

“I’ve made mashed potatoes out of cauliflower and smothered it in cheese,” communication technology sophomore Sandy Yi said. “Cauliflower doesn’t have a strong taste, so it can be transformed.”

According to the site, individuals ages 19-30 years old that get less than 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day should eat about three cups of vegetables daily. Some students struggle with eating the recommended amount of vegetables, so they get creative by hiding them in their food.

“Sometimes you can hide the taste of vegetables in sauces or by blending them into smoothies,” Yi said.

Civil engineering junior Akinbola Thomas has not personally transformed his vegetables, but is interested in trying it. His favorite vegetable is cabbage because it goes well with rice and different sauces.

A popular way to eat vegetables is to steam them. Toney said that steaming vegetables makes them easier to chew. Some like steamed vegetables lightly salted, while others prefer to add soy sauce and black pepper.

“When they are cooked correctly, they are great,” computer science senior Peter Menh said. “My favorite vegetable dish is steamed green beans with soy sauce and black pepper.”

Toney said that making zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash, also known as zoodles, is a great way to feed children vegetables without them noticing. She also thinks it is important to know how to properly cook and season vegetables.

“If you learn how to cook vegetables according to your taste, it gets easier to eat them,” Toney said.

Www.choosemyplate.gov recommends buying fresh, in-season vegetables and shredding carrots or zucchini into meatloaf, casseroles, quick breads and muffins to help you eat more vegetables.

Whether as a snack, blending them into a smoothie or ordering extra veggies on a pizza, make sure to celebrate Eat Your Vegetables Day.

@annaxgabriela

anna.gutierrez28@mavs.uta.edu