default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

UTA recognizes National Day on Writing, students write short stories

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:31 pm | Updated: 5:21 pm, Thu Oct 18, 2012.

“Went to work today. Work was not there.”

“My faith, my life, my hope.”

These are two examples of the short stories students wrote to celebrate National Day on Writing Thursday. The Writing Center had booths in front of Ransom Hall and the Central Library mall from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m on Thursday.

Students were asked to stop by and write a six- to eight-word story on a sticky note and put it on display for anyone to read. The English Department, in association with UTA Libraries, celebrated a couple of days early as the National Day on Writing is officially recognized on Oct. 20.

The National Day on Writing was established by the National Council of Teachers of English to draw attention to the assortment of writing people engage in during everyday life, especially with the recent developments in technology.

“Anyone can be creative even in a limited space, for instance Twitter," Writing Center tutor Joshua Mitchell said.

The surge in shorthand language perpetuated by texting, instant messaging and tweeting is not something Writing Center consultant Kate Morgan worries about.

“Language is changing and modifying. We’re experimenting with new parameters and looking at new boundaries,” she said.

This year students are encouraged to tweet compositions using hashtags #WhatIWrite and #DayOnWriting until Oct. 20 to share writings publicly.

Biology sophomore Kevin Trinh said he enjoys writing horror stories.

Trinh wrote a rendition of "Knock," which is known as the world's shortest science fiction story.

"There was only one person left alive in the world. There was a knock at the door..." he wrote.

Trinh said college life sometimes puts a strain on imagination.

“A lot of the writing students have to do is objective," he said. "This is definitely good for creativity.”

@CarlaSol_UTA

carla.solorzano@mavs.uta.edu

More about

More about

Reference Links

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Featured Classified Ad