Twitter doubles character limit

Twitter announced an expansion on its character count from 140 characters to 280 on Nov. 7.

Twitter has doubled the length of tweets, relieving the pressure people have to fit all of their thoughts into the length of this paragraph.

However, this addition violates the expectations of some, biology freshman Jackie Perez said.

“I feel like the reason I get on Twitter is because everything is so concise, like succinct,” Perez said.

Perez believes Twitter was fine without the larger character limit and worries the platform's brief nature is in jeopardy, she said.

“I feel like that kind of kills it a little,” Perez said.

Perez said she rarely had a problem exceeding the previous character limit.

“If I do have trouble on the limit, I just take out some words that don't need to be there,” Perez said. “People will still understand the overall message.”

But, many have anticipated this change and are excited to utilize more characters, business management junior Christian Moore said.

Moore thinks the change will cause Twitter to be a more desirable social media platform for many, he said.

“I think the more characters you allow, you can share more thoughts and get more out in detail,” Moore said.

Moore often encountered difficulty with brevity when using Twitter and often opted for other social media platforms when relaying important information, he said.

While the opportunity to have longer posts may benefit many users socially, businesses and news outlets will frequently benefit, as well, communication technology junior Kord Hickson said.

“I think what you are going to notice more is more corporations or more solicitors that are trying to use it,” Hickson said.

But some feel that other changes should have been made to Twitter, said Savannah Araujo, accounting and finance sophomore.

Araujo said the character limit was a superfluous expansion and doesn’t read longer tweets, she said.

“I think all of us are waiting on that edit button, let's be real,” Araujo said.

@MaxwellHilliard