Students share skin care secrets for a sweltering summer

Ultraviolet rays can be detrimental to the skin. Proper skin care routines can protect the skin from harm. 

With summer finally here, Texas’ notorious heat spurs the need to wear less and lighter clothing.

From shorts to tank tops, flip-flops and bikinis, people show more skin during the summer months to stay cool outdoors. Going out more and wearing less also makes people more susceptible to damaging ultraviolet rays.

According to the American Cancer Society website, UV rays from the sun and other sources like tanning beds are the number one cause of skin cancer.

Shielding your skin with clothing and broad-spectrum sunscreen and staying in the shade can lower a person’s risk of sun damage or skin cancer, cosmetology instructor Patsy Charles said.

Public relations senior Giselle Fuentes said skin care is important to her all year round because her mother would always stress the importance of washing her face, wearing sunscreen and moisturizing.

Leighton Solomon, Fuentes’ boyfriend and University of North Texas student, said he used to view skin care as a bit emasculating. It wasn’t until he started dating Fuentes that he took an interest in skin care.

Although he isn’t as dedicated to his skin as Fuentes, he said he has seen improvements in his acne, and he now realizes the value of skin care.

Along with sunburns, summer is often characterized by bright red noses and peeling skin.

The easiest way to avoid skin damage is to always wear sun protective factor, or SPF, and consider a hat and sunglasses, Charles said.

Ultraviolet rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., according to the American Cancer Society website.

Charles suggested being outdoors during the hours that are less damaging to the skin.

During the summer, Fuentes diligently applies SPF, regardless of whether she plans on spending the day outside. All her summer skin care products contain SPF because she doesn’t want her face to suffer, she said.

Another important thing to keep in mind for summer skin care, Fuentes said, is to drink lots of water.

“[Drinking water] goes a long way,” she said. “Not just in terms of your face but your whole body.”

Aside from that, Fuentes said her skin care routine is much less rigorous during the summer because of the natural humidity, which keeps skin from becoming excessively dry. She sticks to lightweight products like gels and serums that soak quickly into her skin.

“[We] only have one face for the rest of our lives,” she said.